- This is it, folks! The down and dirty things you will need to survive overnight in the woods if things go wrong.
You will learn the Priorities of Survival and how to meet them in a stressful situation. We will discuss the things you should ALWAYS carry with you whenever you leave the beaten path. These items, and the ability to put them to use, will ensure your successful rescue no matter how bad it may seem.
This isn’t a comfort class where you will learn how-to things in a classroom, its real! It’s not camping and while you won’t build a Taj Mahal from sticks or even a fire from rubbing two sticks, you WILL bring home a solid knowledge of what it takes to stay alive.
We cover fire rules and maintenance; importance of hydration; erecting a shelter; and staying put!
We also discuss the 4 Ws of site selection and camp preparation. (Water, Wind, Wood, Widow-makers)
This course is presented during the morning in a classroom and, after lunch, will move to an outdoor venue where you can practice and demonstrate your learning.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course, but basic knowledge of first aid is always a plus. We will NOT teach first aid beyond stopping blood flow.
- Supplies and equipment needed for this course are as follows:
- Basic personal first aid kit (you can contact us for suggestions or availability for purchase)
- A lighter of your choice (we recommend a recently filled Zippo-type or brand new if a Bic-type)
- 3L of water and a way to carry it
- A tarp of some sort (preferably 2.4m x 2.4m. contact us for availability)
- A piece of cordage 15m in length. (Para-cord or bankline type of nylon cordage)
- 4 Tent pegs (you can contact us for suggestions or availability for purchase)
- A whistle (you can contact us for suggestions or availability for purchase)
- A blanket (wool preferred)
- Courses START at 8:00 am, sharp!! This actually means that that is when words start coming out of my mouth and I won’t repeat anything if you missed it by being late, so, please be seated and ready to go. This may be the only timing we meet all day, 😉 .
- Please bring weather-suited clothing and footwear to change into because we go rain, snow, shine, or cold and the only thing stopping us from doing so will be road safety.
- Once we are out, we stay for the next 4 hours whether dark comes or not.
- Please bring sunscreen year round and bug repellent as appropriate.
- Please bring a lunch with you as time is of the essence.
- Please ensure that you have transportation to the outdoor site.